Friday, November 18, 2011

Snare Trapping


Back in my younger day I remember carrying steel traps over my shoulder and carrying my catch. After a while, it can get tiresome . Just recently I seen my very first snares at a hunting and fishing show. I bought a dozen for $19.00. I was excited about how cheap they are to set up and very light weight so you can carry more in your pack without getting a hernia. You can carry 150 in a 5 gallon bucket with no trouble. I like to see someone do that with steel traps. If there set right wont harm or kill the animal. The snare relax when the animal is not struggling trying to get free. So if someone pet was caught just release them with no problem. One day I had a chance to see a snare set for the first time. I met Willis Bentley has 150 snare traps on his trap line. Mr. Bentley showed me in his shop how to make snares from 3/32 steel cable that has 7x7 stands. Here in West Virginia snares have to have relaxing type lock system with a breaking point of 350 pounds or less. Must have a stop with a minimum loop diameter of 2 ½ inches to keep any deer from getting caught. The snare is used only one time. Then replace the wire each time you retrieve your animal. After a short lesson, its off to the trap line. This was the first time I ever drove a 3 wheeler threw woods. After checking a few traps, I seen a very nice coyote caught, it’s a female weighing 35 pounds. After taken the coyote out of the trap, Willis rig up another snare in the same location. Since 2004 Willis trap 58 coyotes , 20 raccoons and 62 fox using wire snares. If you are interested in using snare check with your fish and game commission for rules. Also contact state trappers association for classes and seminars.

No comments:

Post a Comment